Our vision is to allow the King’s student body access to a range of Music endeavours regardless of individual ability in order to promote lifelong musical interests. The Co-curricular Music Program develop King’s community and reflect the FISHER (Fairness, Integrity, Service, Humility, Excellence/Encouragement, Respect/Responsibility) principles to the wider world.
Purpose of Music Ensembles/Groups/Bands:
- play an integral role in educating the whole child (social, spiritual, intellectual, emotional and physical).
- offers opportunities to display and develop character and build confidence.
- each student is a unique creation of God with unique abilities, which can be developed through music.
- promotes the notion of school spirit, community and identity.
Student’s involvement in the co-curricular Music Programs aims to develop life skills and musical knowledge which ensure a healthy well balanced approach to life. Students can benefit from involvement in our musical programs with the opportunity to compete in a competitive and non-competitive atmosphere while being supported by family and friends. The philosophical underpinning of our Music Ensembles/Groups/Bands at King’s relates more to involvement than elitism, with success being measured by the experience and involvement. Our aim is for students to conduct themselves in a positive manner both at rehearsals and during performances.
Music teachers are encouraged to use Ensembles/Groups/Bands as a unique vehicle to teach lifelong character traits as an indicator of success. While performing is an exhilarating part of the Co-Curricular Program it should never be the ultimate goal of any teacher or school. As a school we value the development of the person which needs to be reflected in our groups’ aims. We need to develop ways to actively teach character in our groups. If our ultimate goal is to develop character it will shape the way that our ensembles/ groups/bands represent King’s in the community and the attitudes that these take into performances.
Aim of Co-curricular Ensembles/Groups/Bands:
The aim of the co-curricular Music Program is to provide opportunities for involvement in a positive, supportive environment. This will promote immediate and long term benefits to students which will be observed in terms of better musical knowledge, socialisation, improved feelings of self-confidence and self-worth and the satisfaction derived from skilled performance in individual and group recitals.
The Co-curricular Music programs at King’s will aim to promote:
- Demonstration and development of Christian character.
- Skill and technique development and teamwork
- An atmosphere of friendly cooperation and healthy competition.
- Character traits both on and off the performance stage. This ensures the musician values the character traits above the desire to be involved in musical opportunities.
Other benefits of the co-curricular program:
- Encourages fellowship amongst students, across year levels and between staff, students, parents and others.
- Provides contact with other schools and communities and enhancing the school image within the community.
- Provides an opportunity for students to be visibly involved in school life.
- Builds community with an outreach component to help others.
Music experiences on offer:
- Electric Bass
- Double Bass